History of the Hall
In 1913 the first steps were taken towards providing a village hall for Willington. A fête was held in the Vicarage Garden; raising £50. After the First World War fundraising started in earnest - jumble sales, whist drives, dances and concerts and an annual village fête. The objective was to create a Village Peace Memorial Hall in memory of the villagers who had fallen in the war. Sufficient funds were raised by 1922 when building work was started - the first stone was laid in October 1922.
The hall is run by volunteers on behalf of Willington villagers, as a charity (Willington Peace Memorial Hall – Charity No 300082). It has gone through many changes and improvements over the years and has continued to provide a valuable ‘meeting hall’ for the village. It has been used to support Parish Council meetings, parties, exhibitions, Village Fêtes, Village Markets, and from fundraising charitable events to a pre-school for the youngsters of the village.
We have further building developments on the way! Read more here >